The new Code38 Elite Series professional wine knife will start shipping shortly (early to mid December). So it's a good time to tell you more about the final product and expand further on the design elements which are going to surprise and delight you.
The Elite Series is a no-compromise wine service tool and is the result of many years of research and feedback. This email is part one of two where we will explore in greater detail the in's and outs of the new Code38 model.
1. The single piece chassis provides strength, structure and form to the elite series and is available in two metal types, both chosen for their high strength and corrosion resistance. The titanium version shown above is formed in Ti6Al4V Titanium which is incredibly strong but also amazingly lightweight at just 55 grams /1.94 Ounces. It's so light that you will barely be aware of it's existence in your pocket which is good news for your pant pockets.
2. The lifter is now formed from a tough 17-4PH grade stainless steel alloy and is many times stronger than our original series giving you even greater confidence when opening those more unique and special bottles.
3. The partially recessed helix integrates beautifully into the chassis design to make for a very compact form when folded with the additional benefit of improved helix point safety.
4. A profiled cap remover is incorporated into the chassis and has a larger catch area with a curvature matching that of the cap to ensure fast and reliable removal of crown caps often found on boutique beers and various other beverages.
5. Specially designed precision cnc machined screws are used to fix the helix and lifter into the chassis. These screws are made in heat treated 440C or 17-4PH stainless steel with a hardness of Rockwell 50C (HRC50). These screws act as pivot bearing surfaces for the helix and lifter, and will give many years of use under the most extreme wine service conditions.
6. An intuitive slide-out locking blade extends smoothly when required with a press and slide action. This new style of blade is produced in 440C stainless steel and has been heat treated to a hardness range of HRC 57 - 60. This high hardness combined with a 50 degree combined knife edge angle results in an extremely tough knife edge and is perfect for repeated cuts against the glass neck of a wine bottle. And... it now has a pointed end. More about the foil blade in the next technical update.
7. Like the Titanium Elite Series, the 17-4PH model is extremely strong and weighs in at 75 grams / 2.65 ounces making it just a touch heavier. The new single piece chassis design allows for the easy changing out of the blade and helix which may require sharpening or replacement with extended use.
8. A radially driven machined capsule housing sits just slightly proud of the chassis and acts as the top guide for the spring loaded piston below which applies an adjustable control force to the helix. This compact adjustable spring assembly contains a total of 13 spring elements and provides a progressive action with a decisive 90 degree position detent allowing you to more accurately place the helix into the cork.
Next update will explore a little deeper into the following: